Until now, my multilingual pages explaining gold size, weight and value, were pretty much static pages, because keeping them up to date was cumbersome and time-consuming. So I decided to automate the process.
The only remaining manual action for me is now to update the date, gold-to-dollar rate and gold-to-euro rate in a simple text file. Everything else will be done by a C program I wrote, which cron runs for me at regular intervals.
Its tasks are to update the date and two gold prices in the HTML files for seven languages, and completely recalculating the table data that these language pages include (see Server Side Includes, SSI), based on the manually updated gold prices.