per page, with , order by , clip by
Results of 1 - 1 of about 32 for default (0.000 sec.)
Setlocale
#score: 14756
@digest: cab3d1c595a283cd4bb7e75500b2e900
@id: 1533
@lang: en
@size: 3834
@type: text/html
content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
viewport: width=device-width, initial-scale=1
#keywords: setlocale (31547), locale (30292), utf (19710), declares (14647), multibyte (14319), variables (13180), portable (12185), environment (11145), lc (10781), default (10453), library (10224), functions (10118), program (9517), inherit (7815), rivulet (7815), campground (7815), startup (7815), beograd (7815), stubbornly (7815), eurobsdcon (7815), subprocesses (7815), schwarze (7815), locales (7438), informative (7213), experiences (7005), characters (6803), defaults (6633), measurement (6633), notable (6590), inherited (6506), evaluating (6466), mountain (6466)
Setlocale 7 February 2020 In my C program I wanted to be able to handle international characters in UTF-8. So I used standard library functions like mblen and mbtowc , that I had discovered in talk notes by Ingo Schwarze: “ Why and how you ought to Keep multibyte character support simple, EuroBSDCon, Beograd, September 25, 2016 ”. (Nice Canadian mountain, campground and rivulet photos, by the way.) But whatever I tried, they didn't work. No multibyte characters, put in a test string in UTF-8 (the default encoding of Linux Mint) were ever recognised. When I ran locale in the born again shell bash , I got this: LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=en_US LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8 LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8" LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8 LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8 LC_ALL= I expected my little test program to inherit that, and be aware of UTF-8. Because from past experiences with the bourne shell sh , I remembered that environment variables are not always inherited by subprocesses by default, I even exported them. Still to no avail. Notable fact: standard library ( stlib.h ) macro MB_CUR_MAX stubbornly kept evaluating to 1. Never more. Always read man pages, of course. I had, and did again. I took me a long time to finally find the solution. If you run: man locale it defaults to man 1 locale . As usual: first one found is shown. But that page isn't very informative. What you actually should read is: man 7 locale . There it says: “ The header declares data types, functions and macros which are useful in this task. The functions it declares are setlocale(3) to set the current locale, ” [...] man 3 setlocale : “ If locale is an empty string, "", each part of the locale that should be modified is set according to the environment variables. [...] On startup of the main program, the portable "C" locale is selected as default. A program may be made portable to all locales by calling: setlocale(LC_ALL, ""); ” That helped. Now it works. I thought I should share. Copyright © 2020 by R. Harmsen all rights reserved. Software reviews and tips This site's front door Colours: Neutral Weird No preference Reload screen ...
https://rudhar.com/sfreview/setlocale.htm - [detail] - [similar]
PREV NEXT
Powered by Hyper Estraier 1.4.13, with 1747 documents and 81086 words.